Croghan was named after a French officer of the Revolutionary War, Major Croan.
On his way to Virginia, after the Battle of Camden, he and his men camped on the
hill overlooking the present town, where the Methodist Church is now.
Robert Parton and Gustavieus Hendricks were two of the first in the area to
receive land grants. Both later sold their land to Joel Meadows (Meadors). By
1809, Mt. Croghan was a voting precinct and had its on post office. After the
death of Joel, his widow married Samuel Shelby, who sold the land to James
Fields in 1822. The next year he in turn sold the land to Judge Josiah Evans of
Society Hill. Turner Bryan bought the land next and by 1834, had built a
blacksmith shop, a store, and the School House on Spring Branch. In 1836, The
Elizabeth Academy was built across from Elizabeth Baptist Church, which was
founded in 1819. The academy was considered a prestigious High School which
taught Latin, Violin, History, Geography, the three R's among other subjects.
This property is north of the current town site on the Maysville Road. The land,
except for the 10 acres that the blacksmith shop and store were on, then passed
to Turner's son-in-law, Francis Johnson, who died by 1855.
On October 3, 1911, J.C. Burch, T.M. Moore, C.F. Taylor, J.O. Taylor, J.H.
Timmons, N.T. Rivers, J.S. Funderburk, W.A. Rivers, and J.N. Ratliff , submitted
the paperwork to have the town of Mt. Croghan incorporated, which was approved
by the Secretary of State, R.M. McCown on May 28, 1914. At that time, the stated
population was 150.
Also, the buildings that are left in Mt. Croghan face Highway 9 as it is today. The older portion of town faced the road behind the service station, which is appropriately named Old Lancaster Highway. The brick bank and other buildings are no longer there.